1. It’s hard to say goodbye.
I didn’t expect our sweet girl to go on a mission. It was never part of any conversation…until it was the main conversation. You would think having your child go to college in a far off land would prepare you, but it doesn’t. I knew whole heartedly, it was the right place for her to be, but actually saying goodbye that last night at home was difficult.
2. Oh how the rules have changed!
So many of our phone calls included the saying, “when dad served his mission, the rules were really different!” 😄 The fact that we could video call her every week, sure eased the sad goodbye. In fact, we probably talked to her more on her mission than any other time!
3. My Asian is a tough cookie.
Through all the challenges with new areas, new companions, medicines, lotions and potions, urgent care visits, dying (but not really), uncertainty, and more, my little Asian stuck it out. She toughened up, and worked through it all. We are so proud of her determination and resilience!
4. The strength of a testimony.
Lillie shared how so many friends and members testimonies strengthened her as she served. I hope she knows how much her testimony has strengthened my own. After reading through her experiences, some silly and some not, between the lines were nuggets of pure testimony that gave me all the warm fuzzies I needed as a mom missing her girl!
5. Growth motivated growth.
Each email, each conversation, I witnessed growth in my little Asian. It was slow at first and then it skyrocketed. This movement made me want to grow and learn. I found myself studying more, reading scriptures more diligently, praying more earnestly. Hopefully we will all notice some growth!
6. God is in the details!
There are too many things to share, but I will just say, when you have a child serving a mission, your eyes are opened to all the miracles, big and small, that occur on the mission and at home, with individuals and families. Noticing how God helps us work though any challenge is quite remarkable!
7. God loves His missionaries!
Lillie served in the area she was meant to be in, serving with the people she was meant to meet. Even though there were ups and downs, we knew Lillie was being watched over, cared for and loved by Heavenly Father. I never really felt worried or terribly concerned for Lillie because I was reminded again and again that God loves His missionaries and she would be ok. You can’t get better reassurance than that!
8. God’s time is the RIGHT time!
I have to say, this one is sometimes hard to swallow. I have been known to be a bit anxiety driven with God at times. However, while Lillie has served her mission, I have learned by her patience and by the Lord helping me to be more patient, that God’s timing is not just right, but perfect! GULP! Whew! Can’t say that’s one I have ingrained yet, but I am learning and trusting.
9. Missions are miraculous!
No matter where you serve or if you thought you were a little successful or a lot, a mission is miraculous! I have seen too many people completely transform into better versions of themselves. How grateful I am to have seen such a transformation in my little Asian!
10. Saying Hi is WAY better than goodbye!
Tomorrow! In less than 24 hours I get to welcome my little Asian home! I really can’t believe it, actually. I know she has served well and I am just overjoyed to have her home with us again for a little while. I hope you all will get to see my little Asian missionary soon!
Mom of Asian on a Mission 🌺
No comments:
Post a Comment